Last updated December 15, 2011
At Ask Jeeves, we respect your privacy, and we understand the importance of the information you entrust to us. We want to describe our privacy practices concerning the information collected through the Ask Jeeves website and our mobile applications in a clear and concise way. Below we describe what information we collect when you use our website and our services, how we protect that information, how long we keep it, whom we share it with, and what your privacy options are. Ask Jeeves is a trading name of IAC Search & Media Europe Limited, which is a member of the Ask.com group of companies.
If you have any question about our privacy practices, or if you would like to review or update the personal information we have collected about you, you can contact us via email by clicking here
or write to our Privacy Officer at:
Attn: Privacy Officer
Unit 1, College Business & Technology Park, Blanchardstown North Road,
Dublin 15, Ireland
Information we collect about your computer or mobile device when you use Ask Jeeves
- IP address of your computer
- Browser type (Internet Explorer 8, etc.)
- Browser language setting
- Other browser information (e.g. size, connection speed)
- Operating system or platform running on your computer (Mac, Windows 7, etc.)
- Type of mobile device (iPhone, Android)
- ID number of your mobile device
We collect the above information only for the purposes of serving our website and services to you, for analytics purposes, to improve our website and service offering, and to display advertisements that are relevant to you. We do not use it to identify any website visitor as an individual.
Information we collect about your use of Ask Jeeves
- The URL of the last webpage you visited before visiting the website
- Your browsing and usage activity on the website and our mobile applications (your queries, questions, answers, comments, search results selected, clicks, pages viewed, etc.)
to collect and store this information. The reasons why we collect this information are explained in the section "Why we collect information" below and further information about cookies, pixel tags and mobile device IDs is set out in the section "Cookies, pixel tags and mobile device IDs" below.
You may prevent search activity from being associated with your use of the Ask Jeeves website and service by turning on AskEraser
. Except in exceptional circumstances, we will not store your search activity on Ask Jeeves while AskEraser is turned on. However, please note that AskEraser cannot currently be turned on from your mobile device.
Information we collect if you register for certain services
Use of certain services requires registration, which can require you to provide certain personal information to us. Other personal information you might choose to provide to us could include: (i) your contact information if you participate in a promotion; or (ii) your email address if you sign up to receive our "Question of the Day" or similar service or submit a help request or other customer services inquiry to us via email or contact us about employment opportunities posted on our sites. AskEraser does not apply to any such information you choose to submit to us. If you participate in a promotion or contact us about employment opportunities, we will therefore retain any personal information you provide even if AskEraser is switched on.
Why we collect information
- To respond to your queries with the best possible answers and search results
- To understand our users (their demographics, what they do on our website, what site features they like, how they use them, etc.) and improve our services
- To administer our services and diagnose technical problems
- To administer our competitions and promotions
- To enable us to show you ads on our website and in our mobile applications that are more relevant to you
How long we keep data about you
We anonymise your search queries after 12 months, unless required to keep them longer for legal or regulatory reasons.
Data collection and sharing involving third parties
- Advertisers and advertising networks place ads (including sponsored links in search results) on our site and in our mobile applications. These companies may collect information, such as your computer's IP address, browser information, mobile device ID, and search queries, as you use our website and services. They also may use web technologies such as cookies and pixel tags to collect this information when you visit our site. Please see the sections "How you can opt out of collection of information about you" and "Cookies, pixel tags and mobile device IDs" below for more information about how to control collection of your information by third party advertisers and advertising networks.
- We use outside service providers for a variety of purposes, such as to push notifications to your mobile device on our behalf and help us analyse use of our website and services. We also may use service providers for other projects, such as conducting surveys or organising sweepstakes for us, that involve collection of information from our users. We may share information about you with these service providers to enable them to perform their services.
- We generally have contracts with all of these companies that prohibit them from sharing the personal information that they collect or that we provide to them with anyone else, or using it for other purposes.
- We may disclose the personal information we collect about our users when we believe disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent, or respond to suspected illegal or fraudulent activity or to protect the safety, rights, or property of us, our users, or others.
- We may transfer your personal information to a third party if we or any of our affiliates are involved in a corporate restructuring (e.g., a sale, merger, or other transfer of assets).
How you can opt out of collection of information about you
- You can turn on AskEraser. We will not store your search activity on Ask Jeeves while AskEraser is turned on. Please note that AskEraser cannot currently be turned on from a mobile device.
- You can disable the cookies placed on your computer by advertising companies that display ads on our site to prevent them from using information about you for targeting purposes. To do this, please see the section "Cookies, pixel tags and mobile device IDs" below for further information.
Security of the information we collect
We have implemented security measures to prevent unauthorised or unlawful access to and misuse of the personal information we collect, including technological and physical security measures as well as procedural safeguards. However, because no security system can be 100% effective, we cannot completely guarantee the security of any information we may have collected from or about you.
Cookies, pixel tags and mobile device IDs
A cookie is a small text file that is stored on your computer. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the website. To understand more about cookies, click here
- We use our own cookies on the Ask Jeeves website to enable us to recognize you when you visit our website, to store your preferences and settings and to better understand how you use our website and services.
- We allow Google Analytics to place cookies on our websites. These cookies are set by Google, Inc. and are used to collect information about how visitors use our website including the number of visitors to our website, the websites that referred them to our website, and the pages that they visited on our website. We use this information to compile reports and to help us improve the website. To see an overview of privacy at Google and how this applies to Google Analytics, visit http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/analytics/privacyoverview.html.
- We allow cookies from advertising companies to be used on our website. These cookies enable advertising companies to track your activity across various sites where they display ads and record your activities, so they can show ads that they consider relevant to you. All the advertising companies or networks that we work with offer a mechanism for users to opt out tracking and behavioural targeting available from the advertisement itself or through the single opt out mechanism available at http://www.networkadvertising.org/.
You may also opt-out of receiving targeted advertising from some advertising networks. For further information about your right to opt-out of receiving targeted advertising please visit the following websites:
If you are using our mobile applications, we use your mobile device ID
number to recognize you when you use the application and to store your preferences and settings. Advertising companies may also store your mobile device ID to show ads that they consider relevant to you in various mobile services that you use.
A pixel tag
(also called a web beacon or clear GIF) is a tiny graphic with a unique identifier, embedded invisibly on a webpage (or an online ad or email), and is used to count or track things like activity on a webpage or ad impressions or clicks, as well as to access cookies stored on users' computers.
- We use our own pixel tags to measure the popularity of our various pages and services.
- We allow advertising companies to use their own pixel tags to measure the number of ad impressions and the performance of ads on our site, and to access the advertising company's cookies placed on your computer.
- We also use outside vendors to help us better understand our user demographics. They use technologies such as cookies and pixel tags in providing their services to us, but do not use them to target ads to you.
Government authorities and legal rights
If requested or required by government authorities, such as law enforcement authorities, courts, or regulators, or otherwise to comply with the law, we may disclose any information we have about our users or modify other practices described in this policy, such as how long and in what form we keep information. We also may disclose information collected about you in order to exercise or protect legal rights or defend against legal claims.
Information collected from users located outside the United States
complies with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbour Framework and the U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbour Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. Ask.com
has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbour Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement with respect to personal information transferred to us in the U.S. from the following Ask.com
Our parent company, Ask.com, is a participant in the Safe Harbor program developed by the U.S. Department of Commerce and the European Union and has self-certified compliance with the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles with respect to personal information transferred to us in the U.S. from the following EU/EEA websites:
We self-certify compliance with:
To learn more about the Safe Harbour program, and to view Ask.com's certification, please visit http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/